The DaY i becaMe Mrs. Dericto...

When I was a young girl, I never pictured myself as a princess or a damsel in distress in movies and fairy tale stories to be saved in a forlorn fortress by a knight in shining armor and to march in an aisle as a bride with a big, bulky white gown with hundred of folks I don't even know.

I always see my as a simple bride with my dashing groom with his all-out smiles, both of us beaming with happiness and love. 

The day that I learned that I was nine-week pregnant, me and Dave decided to settle down before this year ends since we've been planning to settle down since last year, anyway. What surprised the hell out of me even if I knew since day one that it really is a taxing thing to do ( being your OWN WEDDING PLANNER) is how it REALLY (and I meant it REALLY ) so stressful and demanding. 

What's the hardest part for me is the fact that I cannot personally be there since I am in Manila and the venue will be in our province. So I thank God Dave was there in Pangasinan and that my mother is with him from the time they started getting the requirements til we progressed to some other wedding workarounds.

The second important thing to consider is the financial readiness. We started saving, informing some close relatives about our plan  ( and I am forever grateful for our relatives who voluntarily backed-up us financially) and budgeting our resources to meet both ends.Dave and I originally planned of  just a simple "civil wedding" since we are of different religious affiliates and when I say simple our idea is about me and him plus at least ten (10) witnesses and we will just eat somewhere to celebrate. But then I just realized that even though I really want to just have a simple civil wedding I still want to make it as memorable as possible since my mother wasn't wed. For me, it's a fulfillment for her to see me at least settle down decently. I just want to be around my close friends and families when we will be bonded by law. I remember how that turned into a heated argument, but eventually Dave has to succumb.

Little by little, the motif was decided. Details of the wedding followed. I created a list of anticipated guests. Originally our plan is be on the same venue in Calasiao where my brother's wedding reception was held. But that changed to the last minute as there were cancellations done and so my mother and Dave has to scout again another venue, closer to home and we were lucky we were able to think of my grade school teacher who are into catering business for 20 years as our official caterer.

We settled to marry on November 16, 2013 ( since November is the birth month of my mother and Dave's father) with four sets of  our godfathers and godmothers selected carefully.The preparation was a bit frenzy. I was able to just go home to prepare Tuesday ( 4 days before the actual wedding). I was able to talk to Mrs. Almonte, my grade-school teacher of what we want to happen and settled the catering expenses. I was able to contact a friend who will cover the photography. Also another closest one who will sing on our first dance. Even our cake was customized and that I decided to use corsage rather than having a bouquet of flowers. 

No matter how you come well-prepared, there are  really just crazy, panicky circumstances that will arise like our sound system being busted two days before the wedding, the balloon drama that I wanna happen just didn't work with the venue ( since the ceiling is too high)  the last minute requirements from the office of the mayor that made us dash like loonies before the cut-off and  me and Dave not having enough rest the night before the actual wedding because of excitement that brought dark circles both under our eyes.

Nonetheless, God heard our prayers when we woke up with a beautiful Saturday morning, with all my brothers and sisters being with me and relatives and families arriving one by one to witness our much-awaited wedding. It was such a nice morning with a promising memories.


When we arrived at the venue, we learned that our municipal mayor unfortunately cannot officiate the wedding because she has to be somewhere, but she has a proxy with some municipal employees to assist and they were an hour early.

There were relatives from both sides who were there already. The venue was beyond my expectations and I really was extremely happy with Mr. and Mrs. Almonte for being such miracle workers. I had the glimpse of our customized cake, too and even the stage was well-set and we even had the cage of the couple doves meticulously ornamented with balloons. I saw red and white everywhere to my delight.

And when we decided to start the wedding, the emotion was very much overwhelming! I am beyond words! I was so light-headed and giddy to the extent that I thought that I was dreaming. Friends and relatives started greeting us. When we're done with the wedding rites, our gracious emcee started the fun!

And it was FUN! That's all that I can remember! Even though the venue was quite warm, with AC not being able to accommodate due to we exceeded the number of anticipated guests, seeing all those people and knowing we all gathered them to witness our "special day" is something I'll never forget. And being with the man I was with, through good times and the downward spiral, finally becoming my HUSBAND is just the cherry on top of my wonderful cake.

I am forever grateful for our relationship was officially sealed and I am now a certified DERICTO. We waited for that moment to be bonded with a lifetime commitment. I don't have any worries anymore. It might not be an easy responsibility, to be in a matrimonial obligation that will last a lifetime, where struggles and conflicts will be forever present plus the fact that our baby is along the way, but I know, and I do have a strong faith that we will always be guided to make it through!


Looking back now, just checking our wedding snapshots, seeing myself  in my simple white wedding dress in my "very obvious baby bump"  with a cute corsage of white and red roses more than a bouquet of flowers with my loving husband Dave who is perfectly dressed surrounded by the people I love the most, their beautiful, genuine smiles plastered all over their faces who joined us in an intimate simple wedding is a FAIRY TALE COME TRUE!It was just as PERFECT as I thought IT WOULD BE.






















Comments